Interested in a free one-on-one Health Coaching Consultation?
Email me at HealthCoachAmandaLiska@gmail.com , and together we will work to create your happiest, healthiest life!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Yummm, Ommm, and Ekkk!!! My top 6 ways to relieve stress....

Hello Fellow Warriors!

Since I last posted, I have been so busy enjoying this sweet life! My motto these days is, "forget about it", and this carefree way of thinking is really having an effect! Positive vibes all around.... Here's my top six ways to relieve stress:
*Note: I tried to do "top 5", but there is just so much to share!

6.) Cooking! 
Nothing makes me feel better than preparing my own healthy meals. 
This dish is vegan and gluten free.
 Gluten has been linked to exasperating PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome) symptoms, 
as well as decrease your serotonin levels (the "feel good" hormone in your brain), 
and runs down your adrenal glands leading to stress, fatigue, mood swings, depression, Fertility issues, to name a few....
 so I am completely cutting it out of my diet, where before I was much more lenient... 
and with tasty food like this, gluten who?
Quinoa and corn salad with roasted peppers:

  • 1 ½ cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
  • 1 tsp. salt (or less)
  • 2 cups fresh (about 4 ears) or frozen corn
  • 1 cup tightly packed basil leaves, finely chopped
  • ½ cup diced jarred roasted red peppers, or home made (*see how below)
  • ½ cup diced red onion
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 3 to 5 Tbs. fresh lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons) 
  •  1.In medium saucepan, combine quinoa, salt and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 12 minutes.
  • 2. Add corn, cover and cook until quinoa is tender but still a little crunchy, about 3 minutes. 
  • 3. Drain quinoa mixture and transfer to large serving bowl. Toss well with fork, fluffing quinoa. Set aside to cool slightly.
  • 4. Add basil, peppers and onion. Stir in oil and enough lemon juice to give salad a distinct lemony edge. 
  • Adjust seasonings to taste and serve.
  • *Make the roasted peppers fresh if you have time-- it's so easy, delicious, and your house will smell amazing! All you do is broil who peppers, turning every few minutes to blacken all sides. Then place in a brown paper bag for about 15 minutes.  Wipe off skin and slice the roasted pepper.

My Mom's Bean Salad:
1 cup steamed (or can) green beans 
*If using canned do use Organic to avoid BPA and other chemicals and additives, and always rinse to get rid of that extra, unnecessary sodium! I use Eden Organic which are boiled with Kombu, Kombu makes the beans (or you) less "musical".
1 cup (or can) Garbanzo Beans
1 cup (or can) Kidney Beans
1 small red onion chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup of chopped celery
Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 c. sugar OR ten drops of Liquid Stevia
Marinate over night, toss, and enjoy!
Fortunately for me, my sister (who is also a GF Vegan) made this delicious raw pie for our 3rd of July Party...
Unfortunately I do not have the recipe (sorry guys!) check out her blog here for the recipe and more of what she made.


5.) The number one supplement for happiness and stress relief? 
Some Vitamin L (ove).  
Being around people who make you happy does wonders for your health!
Here I am spending time with my little love bug of a niece, Audriana, at our Annual 3rd of July Party.

4.) Running in the direction of my dreams....

My Fiance, John and I purchased Vibrams and they are awesome! I LOVE them! 
I run in the woods, so there is a bit of caution needed-- Do run on your toes (takes a bit getting used to), 
do NOT land on your foot, in which case you may land on a sharp rock that bruises your foot..Ouch!
Aside from that, these shoes rock! I have been running with Nike Frees (Nike's version of Vibram) for over a year now, so I am used to running on my toes.  However, I have now discovered new muscles in my feet and legs. Best part, these shoes WILL make you feel and look like a rock-star-runner ;)

NOTHING helps me to relieve stress like running in the peace and quiet of the beautiful woods near my house.


3.)Yoga. My runs are always proceeded by an hour of yoga. 
Great for my recovery, and does wonders for my mind!
Lately I have been doing p90x2 yoga outside, with Avery, my Veggie Lovin' Maltese :) 
Max. outside time=great mood booster and stress relief, 
puppy time=even MORE (more Vitamin L!)
In Savasana with Avery
2.) Always challenge yourself, and have FUN doing it! 
I  ran my first race, and it was a MUD race! The Warrior Dash! 
3.5 mile, 15 obstacle race in the MUD
Here is a shot of us Warriors after-- 
David, My Brother-in-law Thomas, My sister Lauren, Me, and My fiance John
Warrior Sisters :)
Muddy Smooches for my Warrior <3

1.) My number 1 way to relieve stress? Meditation! And just in the nic-of-time (as always, You funny Universe!) the Chopra Center is hosting another FREE 21-Day Meditation Challenge!! Whose with me?? I have done all of the Chopra Center Challenges, and they just get better and better every time! Click here to join! Did I mention it was FREE!? Seriously try it, whether you are new to meditation or have been practicing for years... It starts Monday!

Well, that's that my little Warriors!
Take care of yourself and
Have a wonderful, stress-free day <3

No comments:

Post a Comment